Email marketing is a crucial part of a successful marketing strategy for your business. As business owners we wear many hats and consistency can sometimes be the hardest hat we wear. An effective email marketing plan starts with some key components for success. Get out your pen and paper …
Let’s Start Planning Your Email Marketing Strategy!
- Set a goal. Know what you want your campaign to accomplish. Is it sales, sign-ups, appointments?
- Target your audience. Who are you marketing to? Who is on your list and what do they have in common?
- Create message basics. What are you going to say to move readers toward your goal? How will you explain the benefits of your offer and call the reader to action?
- Decide on a message type. Are you best served by sending a newsletter or a promotional piece? You can also choose to send a press release, new product announcement or preferred customer message.
- Time your message. Avoid sending it overnight or first thing in the morning. Avoid Mondays and Fridays.
- Make your message graphically appealing. Use graphics that fit your message and business image and make good use of white space.
- Personalize your copy when possible. Using names in your salutation and within the email copy can be a valuable attention getting tool.
- Keep your copy clean, clear and concise. Focus on your goal and form a message that quickly gets your point across.
- Include a strong call to action. Make sure you clearly ask the reader to do what you want him/her to do.
- Tie a benefit to the call to action. Let them know that if they do “this” they well see the benefit of “that”.
- Include immediacy in your message. Create an urgency to act now.
- Proof read and spell check. A typo in the subject line is a death blow to an email. Errors in your copy hurt your credibility.
- Check any links you include. Make sure your links go to the proper destination.
- Create a great subject line. Make it attention getting, relevant, timely and have it properly convey what the full message is about.
- Keep your subject line to the point. Subject lines shouldn’t go above 40 characters, and, yes, that includes spaces.
- If you have a blog, link to it. Keep your readers coming back for more and make it easy for them to find that “more”.
- Make sure your name or brand is in the “From” line. If not, make sure you include it in your subject line.
- Include a link to your website. Simple, but effective traffic generation.
- Make sure you include links to your social media pages/profiles. Integrate your email with your social media.
- Preview your message by sending it to yourself. View it in text and HTML , check it out on a mobile device and give it a final proof and polish before sending it out.
Take the time to put an email marketing strategy in place, it will pay it forward to your bottom line. You are creating top of mind awareness on a regular basis, whether you’re targeting a client, a prospect or a colleague. People do business other people they know, like and trust. Create good content, be consistent, make sure your message is well branded and watch your word of mouth marketing explode!
Do you plan and strategize your email marketing campaigns? Share with us! Looking forward to hearing about your email marketing success!