We all have days when we sit down to write a blog post but are stuck as to what to write about. Sometimes you can change your plans and write the post later, but other times you need to get a post up now. Where can you look to get some ideas about what to write?
When you are looking to get inspired for a great blog post topic, there are many different routes you can take.
- Answer a question you have already been asked. Go through your previous blog posts, client emails, posts to various social media platforms and look for questions that you have been asked and provide a more detailed answer.
- Answer a question from a question and answer type website (Yahoo Answers, Ask.com, etc.). There are many sites whose sole purpose is to give people a place to match their questions with answers. Check out these websites for a topic that appears to interest a wide variety of people.
- Use a search engine to find a hot topic. Take advantage of the auto fill features of many search engines to see what people are searching for. Go to the search engine and start typing in a very high level topic and as you do, the auto fill feature will show frequently searched word combinations. Use one of these topics to get you started or click on the topic itself to see what type of information shows in the search.
- Ask your followers for topics they would like to know more about. This won’t give you a topic for a quick blog post but it will give you a list of topics for later posts.
- Check out what your competitors and/or other people in your industry are talking about.
- Use a keyword research tool to find out what word combinations are trending within your niche.
Most importantly, when you get some ideas for future blog post make a note of them. Grab a notebook and write them down! Next time you are stuck for a new blog post, you will have your own list of great topics to write about.